17 Jul 2017
Tour Blog - Day 18

Monday was match day for the boys, while the girls' match wasn't until tomorrow so they had a trip to Taronga Zoo. We all enjoyed breakfast together before separating for the day.

Taronga zoo was great and we were lucky enough to get there in time to see the elephants get their bath. A baby elephant had been born just a couple of months ago too, which was fascinating and entertaining to see the young calf run about. We saw so many other animals including giraffes, seals, gorillas and of course the native koalas and kangaroos. The day went so quickly and we could have spent even longer there. Upon arriving back at the accommodation, the girls headed to the beach for a training session. We did a netball related fitness circuit and played a game of end-ball, all which was made more challenging by the terrain. The girls cooled off in the sea and watched the sunset. Collaroy and Manly are truly beautiful places.

Tomorrow is match day for the girls, but they will do some site seeing in Sydney prior to this and the boys gets to enjoy the zoo.

The boys fixtures vs King’s Parramatta were tough but many positives were gained from the experience. Arriving at the school it was evident their rugby programme is world class, with possibly the best school boy 1st team rugby pitch we have ever seen. The ‘Rebels’ squad played first and battled really hard for the first ten minutes, in which our defensive shape and efforts at the contact zone minimised the opposition’s ability to attack. We then made an error in midfield at the opposition capitalised and took the lead. This then gave them huge confidence and the game opened up, with King’s dominating ball possession and placing us under huge pressure. Towards the latter end of the match tiredness had kicked in and we conceded several tries, but nevertheless the boys battled hard and dug deeper than ever before and were rewarded with a good try from Nic Cornelius.

The ‘Waratahs’ squad then played and started with real passion and determination. We completely dominated possession and territory but sadly couldn’t quite convert until late in the half with a well worked try. The opposition then struck back almost immediately and the match stepped up a level before the opposition then scored right at the end of the half to take the lead. At half time King’s then brought on their full 1st team side and so immediately some fresh legs made our boys miss tackles and King’s showed why they are ranked in the top three schools in the country. Their side was exceptional and really showed our boys what level we aspire to reach in the coming years. No matter what happened the boys reacted in a very positive manner and the entire experience was highly productive and an excellent lesson for all involved.

After the fixtures King’s hosted us well and provided some gifts to players of the match and the visiting coaches. It was pleasing to make the connection with King’s and we hope to welcome them to Seaford in coming years. The opposition coach was very complementary of our players and style of play and hopefully this bodes well for the coming years.